Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Single and Fabulous

“Being single used to mean that nobody wanted you. Now it means you’re pretty sexy and you’re taking you time deciding how you want your life to be and who you want to spend it with.”
Carrie Bradshaw (Sex and the City)

I can remember hearing those voice overs from Carrie while I watched the show and not fully understanding what the hell she was talking about. Carrie Bradshaw had it all; the clothes, the great apartment in NYC, the men, the job, and the shoes! I was too young to fully comprehend what she was writing on her laptop while sipping on her delicious looking Cosmopolitans at 10 o’clock in the morning because, well honestly, who doesn’t have that luxury? But, with re-runs of the show on now, I catch myself watching them, with my Cosmo in hand of course, and having those Ah-ha moments a lot more then I should.

I’m single. I don’t have a +1. I’m not a “Teri and….” on guest lists. I could check the “Single” or the “Divorced” box depending on my mood. I’m usually a third, fifth, etc…wheel. My last real date was with my nephew. I could probably go on and on but I’m thinking you get the picture. Society had me trained to think that because I am single, there must be something wrong with me. I had 2 serious relationships before I got married, I failed at my marriage, and I’m back to being single. Am I doing something wrong? Am I not good enough? Maybe there isn’t someone out there for me. Am I being too picky? Am I too guarded or am I making myself too available? Or, call me crazy, but maybe I’m just being a female and thinking way too much into this whole being single thing. Sorry to put us on blast ladies.

Perhaps it’s not just the female species that has it all wrong. Maybe it’s just society as a whole that has blinded us to what’s really important: life. Living life. Loving life. Maybe I’m not in a relationship because I just don’t want to be. So in yo face, society. Being single is a choice. Don’t get me wrong, if someone comes along that I think is amazing and that I would like to get to know better, I will put forth that effort. However, that still doesn’t mean I want a relationship RIGHT NOW. That means I would like to take things slow and get to know you. Since my divorce, I realized a lot about myself and I have some things (obviously) that I need to work on for myself before I can bring anyone else into it. I want to travel by myself, which I think is the greatest way to learn about yourself. I want to have fun with my friends and go to concerts and sit around a bonfire. I want to enjoy spending time with my family. I want to read more. I want to sleep in a van down by the river. Okay, I’m kidding about that last one. I want to go camping and sleep under the stars. I want to hear stories from people I don’t even know because I love seeing how people talk about things they are passionate about. It would be amazing if I found someone to do these things with, but I am okay doing these things myself and with my friends. Being single will not stop me from living life; loving life. I know I will find someone that is perfect for me and can handle me at my worst, my best, my outspoken times, my quiet times, my annoying times, and my ever so cute endearing times. But until then, I’m working on the relationship that really matters; the one with myself and that is just fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment