Thursday, March 5, 2015

Mistakes & Judgement

How fair is it that people still get judged on their past? Sure, some people are incapable of changing. But, how fair is it to judge people that HAVE changed based on things they did 20, 15, or 10 years ago? I know that I have done some pretty messed up things in the past that I would never even think about doing now. I know people that have cheated and are in committed relationships now. I know people that have had several run ins with the police that are now police officers. I know people that have had trouble with drugs and alcohol and are amazing people, friends, and parents. People grow and people learn through their mistakes so how fair is it for us to judge them on things that they did when they were younger? We don’t always know the circumstances or the situations or what was going on in their heads when they did what they did. They probably don’t even know. The point is that they learn from it and they grow from it and they become better people. We can’t sit on our high horses and point fingers at anyone because the truth is, I bet we all did some things we aren’t proud of.

I am in no means innocent. I have done things I am not proud of when I was younger. I didn’t know any better. I wish I could go back in time and change it. I was lost and searching for any kind of relief and I was selfish. I will have to live with the choices that I made during that period for the rest of my life and that is no one’s fault but my own. I was wrong and I am sorry. But, I did learn from it. I learned about the person I never want to be. I learned that I am better then who I was pretending to be. I learned that I am going to mess up from time to time and it’s okay and that I can’t bottle up my emotions from the past because they will literally suffocate me. Most importantly, I acknowledge that I made mistakes in the past and that I am not a bad person. So, how can I sit there and judge someone based on something they did light-years ago? I can’t. I can acknowledge that they made mistakes, yes, but I should also acknowledge that they aren’t that same person now and chances are, they are pretty amazing.

Our experiences are what make us who we are today and so do our mistakes, without them, how would we learn and become better?

No comments:

Post a Comment